Friday, July 10, 2009

Sponsor a Child

***Found this blog in my "drafts" collection, and finished it. One down, 1359087 more to go. Stay tuned...***

Last summer in Ghana, our team visited a World Vision office and got to meet one of our team member's sponsored children. We also visited a Compassion International Compound and watched their kids put on a show for us. These experiences led me to sponsor a child in Ghana through World Vision. Her name is Nmowai Sonja, a precious 6 year old who got to start school this year. She has written me twice. Her first letter was a picture of an orange. She's my kind of girl: totally random. Go figure.

Anyway, I tell you all this for two reasons. Number one: I've been convicted. I have been reading Melissa (Moore) Fitzpatrick's blog on her Compassion trip to India. Her team's sponsor children have kept EVERY SINGLE ONE of the letters their sponsors have written to them. And I have yet to write Nmowai! Sad day!! This will now be my #1 project this weekend.

Reason number two: Sponsor a child through World Vision. (or any other sponsorship program!) I've seen firsthand what World Vision does with the sponsors' money and I know they are who they say they are. $30.00 a month will give your child - and his/her community! - basic necessities that we are blessed with each and every day: school, clean water, clothes, nutrition & agricultural education, and spiritual nourishment, just to name a few.

So, eat out one less time with your beau a month and sponsor a child instead. Eternity will be changed.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Brian and I are sponsoring a child from World Vision when the WoF event comes to Dallas. I'm so excited!

Cheryl Read said...

Love your post! Wondering if you know the name of the village of your sponsored child.