Saturday, August 9, 2008

Ghana 2008

Written Wednesday, July 2, 2008

It's hard to believe the 2 weeks in Ghana have come and gone. I still can't believe I'm home. I still can't believe God sent me to Africa! What an honor it was and still is to serve my Lord. So many things have happened in the last 2 weeks... so many experiences shared...

My 12 day journey in the Northern Region of Ghana proved to be a life-changing adventure with Jesus. We led a Vacation Bible School, took part in street evangelism, trained teachers to develop Sunday school lessons, registered over 275 people for National Healthcare, and visited the compounds for World Vision and Compassion International (organizations that sponsor poverty stricken children and provide them with healthcare, education, and spiritual nourishment). We saw the power of God heal a dying girl from a snake bite. We prayed over a 14 year old girl who had been bound by chains fastened by her earthly father due to her refusal to renounce her faith in Jesus Christ. The perseverance and liberty God gave her was profoundly humbling. We had the privilege of ushering over 100 souls to His Throne of Grace. Hallelujah!

I have seen with my own eyes the depth of utter hopelessness. Never could I have imagined such a thing. I remember sitting in Cheryl's (our leader) classroom and she said, "The person sitting in that chair right now will not be the same person who returns to the US. Your life is about to change dramatically." I can honestly say that I did not believe her. The Lord called me to short-term missions when I was 17, so I have been able to serve Him overseas a few other times. While all those experiences were certainly new at the time, my Ghana experiences were completely different. When I speak of utter hopelessness, I not only speak of the physical hopelessness - the poverty, the disease, families living amongst trash and sewage. Pile on top of all of that the spiritual hopelessness - idol worship, Allah worship, ancestral worship... and you come to the depth of utter hopelessness I witnessed with my very own eyes. I've never seen anything like it. And to know that this is only one depth of hopelessness - the Bottomless Pit of hopelessness is still yet to come. My spirit's jaw can only drop to the floor and I can only fall to my knees and cry out to the God Who Hears on these people's behalf that their hearts may be softened to the Holy Spirit's calling. Thank God there is still hope for them - for they are still alive and still have a chance to choose Jesus.

God taught me through Ghana that there are truly only 2 choices in life: believe God or don't. There is no middle ground. You cannot believe Him and your life stay the same. Your life will change when you believe that He is Who He says He is.

As I continue to process these experiences, I'm sure I will have to post more later. Until then, to God be the glory for the great things He has done.

"Declare his glory among the nations, his marvelous deeds among all peoples... Say among the nations, 'The LORD reigns.'" Psalm 96:3, 10

2 comments:

Cheryl Read said...

Like you, I came back changed. I always do. You were such a blessing to our team and to me. I hope you will return to Ghana next year. Not only did Ghana change you, but you changed Ghana.

Kati said...

Stephanie, this doesn't have to do with Ghana but your post on my blog made me laugh out loud at work!! :) We should get together sometime and cook! I'm really not that great either... but like to try! And I'm glad someone's reading my nonsense :)