Saturday, August 9, 2008

Humbled

One of the hardest but most rewarding weeks is finally OVER! I will forever be grateful to any and all leaders. Leadership is absolutely the most humbling thing I have ever experienced. I helped put together the Vacation Bible School for some refugee kids from Burma, Iraq, and Nepal. They span the religions of Muslim, Buddhist, Hindu, and Christianity. Those precious babies stole my heart the moment I saw them. So many came in on Monday scared and nervous and wouldn't mutter a sound, but by the end of the week, were wild and crazy just like kids should be at Vacation Bible School!

COOLEST.THING.EVER: Four languages going on all at the same time. Four different Names for Jesus - yet all for the One. I just got a taste of what Heaven will be like.

So while that was absolutely so cool, this was one of the hardest things I have ever done. Looking back, I wish I had enjoyed it more. I wish I had taken more in. While I absolutely loved every second of it and was so honored to be a part of it, I was just so focused on making sure everything went smoothly, that everyone else was happy. Leaders have to deal with everything - the complaints, the problems, the issues... It's almost overwhelming. Of course there's plenty of encouragement in there too, but I find it pretty fascinating that just last week, I journaled about knowing who I am and who I am not and choosing not to live for the approval and disapproval, the encouragement and discouragement, of any man. I choose to live solely for His approval. I must choose each day Whom I will serve. I choose Him. I prayed that those words were true and authentic... Boy, was that choice and those words ever put to an intense test! I hope I passed it...
Once again I was stretched and knocked to my knees in humility. I felt completely inadequate - and most days overwhelmed - for the job that was set before me, but once again, my God was faithful to thoroughly equip His child for the task He gave her. We will not know until His side of Heaven just what seeds were planted where, but I anticipate a 100 fold harvest. :)
My God is good and I cannot wait for the day when I hear the Names of Jesus spoken in all the world's languages. Now THAT will be the COOLEST.THING.EVER.

"After this I looked and there before me was a great multitude that no one could count, from every nation, tribe, people and language, standing before the throne and in front of the Lamb. They were wearing white robes and were holding palm branches in their hands. And they cried out in a loud voice:
"Salvation belongs to our God,
who sits on the throne,
and to the Lamb."
Revelation 7:9-10

2 comments:

Lou Jean Beckett said...

It was the coolest week ever. For those of us who did not go to Ghana, it was a way that the mission field came to us! How could I NOT go and serve when these people had come so far to hear a word of hope from us? Thanks for all your hard work.

Cheryl Read said...

You did such a great job putting together the VBS program! I knew you would! I said the same thing as Lou Jean, "How could I NOT go and serve?".